Fw: Katrina

webb50@comcast.net webb50@comcast.net
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 12:39:54 -0400

MessageI spoke with Gary and Dot Neie, also spoke with Nolan today.  =
They both have their customary "we'll be fine" way going on.
Here is a letter from Gary that tells how it is for them.
Ruth
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Gary A Neie=20
To: Ruth/Webb Phillips=20
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 11:41 AM
Subject: Katrina

Hello All,

Dot and I are fine from the storm. We didn't get any damage we were on =
the west side of the storm.

It is causing hardship for all (including us). the gas prices and =
gouging is out of reach.

Our church is housing 100 refugees from New Orleans, Dot and I are =
getting up each morning at 4:00 a.m. to go fix them breakfast and feed =
them. Others of our church are cooking the other two meals of the day.

We have had them since Monday the 29th of August and will probably have =
them, at least, another week.

Some of these have lost everything. The situation on New Orleans is =
desperate. It is like a bathtub as it is below sea level. The 17th =
street levy broke  in 4 places and let the water in from Lake =
Potchatrain, so at present the city is 80 percent flooded and the water =
level is equal to the Lake. Everyone had plenty of notice to leave the =
city but many chose to stay and now they are in desperate need. About =
4000 were sent to our Super Dome for shelter and then the storm hit it =
took the roof off the Super Dome, The electricity failed and the sewage =
failed since the water is higher than the sewage, it is impossible to =
flush the toilets.

Our Parish closed schools today Friday, Sept 2nd and sent all of our =
school busses to New Orleans to help with the evacuation.

There are a lot of Red Cross shelters in our City that are packed with =
refugees. We don't have a clue as to where the people will go from here =
that have no homes to go back to.

Mississippi gulf coast is wiped out completely, many, many lives lost =
and more will be discovered as the are able to get to them.=20

The important thing right now is in trying to rescue as many as =
possible.

Your prayers are welcomed and what money you might be able to send. Send =
it to the American Red Cross and designate it to "Katrina".

Hope this info will be a help to all.

You got Ron's message from Nolan. We talked to him before the storm =
trying to get them to leave and come here, also the PTG Home Office crew =
tried to get them to leave, We talked to him afterwards and they didn't =
suffer damage other than the city is without power and it is getting =
harder to get gasoline for their vehicles and Electrical Generator. They =
have to travel great distances to get it.

Love to all,

Gary A. Neie, RPT
Pineville, Louisiana (we are in the middle of the state.)