soundboard buzz

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:04:25 -0500

My $0.02 (and that's all it's worth) is to get the dealer involved.  You =
can't fix it without charging and they shouldn't have to pay for a =
problem on a 3-week old piano. =20
=20
dp
=20
__________________________
David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org on behalf of J. Brandon Robertson
Sent: Fri 9/2/2005 2:03 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: soundboard buzz

Hello everyone.  I'm new on this list.  Hopefully some of you can offer =
some advice about this...I've only been tuning for about 2 =BD years and =
I'm trying to learn to do small repairs as I come across them.  This is =
something I don't know how to fix, and I'd rather ask than cause damage =
by trying something that might be bad for the piano.

=20

A piano I tuned today is buzzing around the middle of the soundboard in =
the bass section.  It buzzes loudest when I play C#3 and buzzes a little =
on a couple of other notes.  I looked and can't find any cracks in the =
soundboard, but it sounds like wood on wood.  The buzz stops completely =
when I apply pressure to the top of the soundboard and also if I push up =
on the ribs in that area.  The client just bought this piano brand new =
about three weeks ago.  The brand is River.  It's under warranty, and =
I'm wondering whether he should just send it back and get another one.

=20

I felt bad having to tell the client that his brand new piano is =
buzzing, and I wish there was something I could do to fix it.  Would =
some sort of really thin shims work?  How about just trying to get some =
glue above the ribs in that area?  Any advice you can give me would be =
appreciated.

=20

Take care,

Brandon Robertson