sticking note puzzler

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 09:14:18 EDT

Actually, the real puzzler here is why anyone would conceive and build  these
pianos in the first place.  A Nordheimer, made in the USSR before the  wall
came down in '89.   Calling this a PSO is being too kind.

What surprised me in the end was that the problem was really not related to
the quality--or lack thereof--of the questionable piano in question.  It
really could have happened on any piano, though this was my first sighting of
this particular problem.

Symptoms:  Key plays fine, then suddenly not.  Examination  reveals excess
lost motion--not between the jack and hammer butt, rather between  the capstan
and the wippen heel.

What it wasn't:

tight center
action parts rubbing together (my first suspect, and what I focused on for
the first 20 minutes of my trip)
Glue dropped on action  parts
anything to do with the key itself
sharp edges on the jack
rough material on the butt

As I said, it was a new one on me.  A simple, but unexpected  problem.

I'll post the answer tomorrow if there are no correct guesses.

Dave Stahl