sticking note puzzler

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 17:08:12 EDT

Dave,

This one's close enough to be called a winner.  The bridle strap is  hotting
on the let-off rail regulation screw.  At first I thought the jack  was
rubbing on it, but it was the strap.

Good job!  Hope this saves people some aggravation in the  future!

Dave S.

in a message dated 9/3/05 12:02:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dporritt@mail.smu.edu writes:

Bridle strap not tight enough and gets hooked on the  letoff screw.
dp

David M. Porritt
_dporritt@smu.edu_ (mailto:dporritt@smu.edu)

____________________________________

From:  pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of  Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 8:14  AM
To:  pianotech@ptg.org
Subject:  sticking note puzzler

Actually, the real  puzzler here is why anyone would conceive and build these
pianos in the first  place.  A Nordheimer, made in the USSR before  the wall
came down in '89.   Calling this a PSO is being too  kind.

What surprised me  in the end was that the problem was really not related to
the quality--or lack  thereof--of the questionable piano in question.  It
really could have  happened on any piano, though this was my first sighting of
this particular  problem.

Symptoms:   Key plays fine, then suddenly not.  Examination reveals excess
lost  motion--not between the jack and hammer butt, rather between the capstan
and  the wippen heel.

What it  wasn't:

tight  center

action parts  rubbing together (my first suspect, and what I focused on for
the first 20  minutes of my trip)

Glue dropped on  action  parts

anything to do  with the key itself

sharp edges on the  jack

rough material on  the butt

As I said, it was  a new one on me.  A simple, but unexpected  problem.

I'll post the  answer tomorrow if there are no correct guesses.

Dave  Stahl