Repinning Tip was Re: Steinway double flange fitting to butts

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 20:14:01 -0700

I was taught to do the same thing but use a 19 center pin and=
 follow it.   Haven't actually done that again in a long time=
 though...

David I.

Original message
From: Alan Barnard
To: Pianotech
Subject: Repinning Tip was Re: Steinway double flange fitting to=
 butts

I get tired of fussing with pin, press, flange, and=
 birdseye--trying to align the parts and insert the pin without=
 trying to ram it through hard rock maple--so I have a foolproof=
 little system. (And it works for me which proves that any fool=
 can do it.)

I run a thin, straight piece of piano wire, or a smooth round=
 burnishing tool, through the whole assembly, then pull the wire=
 back while guiding the pin through the first side of the flange=
 and slightly into the birdseye. Then press the pin on through,=
 pushing the wire or tool the rest of the way out. The wire/tool=
 keeps everything aligned so the pin centers every time, and it's=
 fast.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri