Repinning Tip was Re: Steinway double flange fitting to butts

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 09:18:15 -0500

The thin pin, wire, or (better) pointed smooth burnisher, finds it's way through the three holes effortlessly. With a sized-to-fit pin, there is no "play", so unless you have aligned the part exactly (by looking through the holes at a strong light or never failing to eyeball them into placeperfectly) then you are going to stab, wiggle, stab, wiggle ....

I doubt you meant your post to have the hoity-toity air that the "Hmmmmmm???" seemed to gave it.  This is just a little something that works very well for me and, obviously, others; something for folks to try. It isn't "the" correct  procedure.

Happy Sunday, all.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell
To: Pianotech
Sent: 09/04/2005 4:48:35 AM
Subject: Re: Repinning Tip was Re: Steinway double flange fitting to butts

Hmmmm. Okay, but now how do you get the straight piece of piano wire, or a smooth round burnishing tool, through the whole assembly, without ramming it through hard rock maple?  Hmmmmmm???

FWIW, I just push the pin through without any guide. I pre-align by eye, sometimes wiggle just a little, and don't seem to have a problem getting the pin in the birdseye without jamming it into the wood (although I have done that early-on before developing an eye for pre-insertion-alignment).

Terry Farrell