Drill for pin removal

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Mon, 05 Sep 2005 14:35:50 -0600

We've been using impact wrenches at the plant forever. Yeah, they can die.
Every 250 pianos or so. Better ones are worth rebuilding, cheap ones....
well... hard to say. Doesn't hurt as bad when you see a cheap one dropped
or flooded (on one of the half dozen days when there's condensation in the
lines). Biggest problem is the stinkin' sockets. Our guys kept welding and
modifying, etc., to make them last. Then we figured out it was easier to
just keep a few extra around for when they die. Six bucks for 7000 pins
removed ain't so bad.
In my life before the plant, my dad and I burned up a few nice 1/2 inch
electric drills, and I learned to hate speed wrenches. Never forget that
old Skill drill he had, with the all-metal casing and the nasty short....

Go impact.
Wear hearing and eye protection.
Don't use remaining fingers to grab loose wires,
Guy