Smokin! was removing wrest pins from the piano

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:20:10 -0700

My only concern with burning the holes is that I sometimes wonder if that
popping pin syndrome isn't in part due to burning the inside of the hole
when removing the pins.  That's why I've gotten back to reaming with either
a drill bit or a reamer to try and get to some fresh wood.  Better to
replace or replug the block, of course, but sometimes it's not in the
budget.  Reaming to a larger size and using the lo-torque tuning pins with
some pin driving fluid seems to keep the rendering under control.  On most
grands unless it's a real budget job, I always replace the block.  On
uprights, pinblock removal is a bit more of a hassle.  Any nice suggestions
for that btw?

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Alan Barnard
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 2:50 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Smokin! was removing wrest pins from the piano

When I am restringing, it is generally an old piano with rusty thunky
strings and a sloppy sloppy block. Therefore, I am generally replacing 2/0
pins with 4/0.

I use a 1/2 inch drive that has the impact drill feature which I set to
"on" which, in my warped little mind, seems to work like jerk tuning to
overcome resistance.

 I don't spin it out fast enough to repeat the error of Mrs. O'Leary's cow,
but neither do I worry excessively about heat or even mild scorching (or
scroching, which I first typed and is a funnier word).

My unscientific, possibly wacko, theory is that with the upsizing of my
order, slight overcooking isn't going to be a problem. In my experience, it
has not.

I am in my foxhole: Fire away ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri