Smokin! was removing wrest pins from the piano

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 05:33:18 -0400

I don't remember how I cut/traced out the pinblock shape. Sorry  :-(   =
Although application of a little Playdough to the one side of the new =
material and then simply pressing the piece to the cut-out area should =
mark it quite well.

The sided I chiseled/pried off. It was a bit of a hassle. Since then Del =
Fandrich recommended to me to rent a large-diameter circular saw, cut =
the joint between the sides and the frame from the rear and then pry the =
rest. When you re-install, just epoxy in a shim the thickness of the =
cut. That sounds like a very good way to do it - next time.

I'd hate to try to do this with the sides on. But then, IMHO, any =
upright worth replacing the pinblock is worth redesigning/installing a =
new soundboard!

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  Okay, a little more info then. Did you use tracing paper for the =
pattern and then transfer to pinblock material for cutting out on the =
bandsaw? Obviously you have to go so close to the sides this method =
requires removal of the sides, not an easy task on most pianos I've =
destroyed. I suppose I could leave the sides on and do the final near =
the sides with spade bits in a drill. Then fill in gaps with filler. =
Spade bits remove a lot of material in a hurry and offer quite a bit of =
control.

  =20

  Thanks for sharing. I've thought about doing something similar but =
haven't gotten the nerve yet to try.=20

  =20

  Dean

  Dean May             cell 812.239.3359