Censors???

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Wed, 07 Sep 2005 00:15:44 +0200

Hi Joe

/Joe writes:
We've never censored piano-related posts../

Unfortunatly, this is no longer entirely true. The content of pianotech
is indeed
monitored now, and the small group of ECC members can stop any post,
piano related or
not, they deem <<inflamatory>>. They have to be in aggreement about it,
and you can
even incure a suspension in which all subsequent postings are stopped
and <<approved>>.
They suspendee is not informed of his/her suspension, and not given any
information as
to what to do about it and there exists no proceedure for appeal or
anything remotely
resembling due process. Suspension stays in affect until whomever is
<<on duty>> for
any given week decides to lift the suspension.

Actually, the whole thing deserves a solid debate on PTG-L as it does
open the question
of liability. Once the PTG begins any real control of content then it is
in some real
sense of the word responsible for that content.... Can get sticky real
quick me thinks.

Another point to consider is that any moderation is in direct conflict
with the PTG's
own on line description of list policy.

My own experience with the whole thing left me feeling the whole thing
needed very
clearly defined rules that were aggreed upon by the membership at large
and made
very much public. And, in addition.. that there was due process built
into the system.
When I made this last point I was told by the then advisory vice
president that any
form of due process would <<rather defeat the purpose of suspensions>>.
Rose an eyebrow
to be sure.

Cheers
RicB