Will wonders never cease !

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:19:43 -0700

Knabe #s used to be stenciled on the treblemost strut on the treble side.
Should be a 6 digit number for something of that age.  If not there, you can
look at the blocks or keyframe for an embossment.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ric Brekne
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 2:56 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: Will wonders never cease !

Hi folks

Of all things, I ran into an origional Knabe grand today. Didnt measure
its length but looked to be around 170-180 cm.  Has a strange number
stamped onto the plate next to the lettering on the treble side just
behind the bridge.  Actually two numbers.  227 was the first number, and
S2223 was just under that. Both were stamped parallel with the long side
of the piano, and they didnt look like they were put on at the same
time.  Neither can be the real serial number as the piano obviously is
not older then tops 60-70 years.

No other numbers were visable, tho there was a thick layer of dust on
the soundboard that I didnt get cleaned off.  Just a quick pitch raise
and tuning was all the guy wanted.  But he did want to find out how old
his instrument was.  Anyone with suggestions as to where I should look
other then the soundboard and plate area ??

Cheers and thanks
RicB