Old Upright piano fell over in Moving truck

Stephen Grattan lostchordclinic@ameritech.net
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:55:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi list,

I always suggest that if a professional moving company is to move a piano that the customer have me check it over to be sure it is worth moving.  I always take several digital photos of it and note any defects in the instrument.  I also always advise the customer to insure it for its replacement value during the move ( not the sixty cents per pound they automatically insure things for) and give them a written appraisal.

So far, I have had two customers get new pianos when the "pros" dropped them down two flights of steps or flipped them over in their trucks.

By keeping complete records and doing as you did - you should be able to get the movers to pay to restore the piano to pre disaster condition. Keep records and document every conversation you have.  It may come in handy in dealing with the movers.

Steve Grattan
Lost Chord Clinic