Hearing problems/hard hammers

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:01:35 -0500

> Aha!  Isn't that interesting!  That must explain my inability to open up
> the hammers and the weenie, nasal sound (my opinion), which has been a
> problem since the piano was new.

I don't know about you, but my call is that a new piano with a thin
nasal sound isn't going to be helped by much of any of the
admittedly few voicing magic tricks in my repertoire, and hardening
the hammers would not even be in the ballpark for consideration.
Sorry, that ain't growl. That's clang. Given what you have to work
with, I'd recommend you abandon the original hammers, install new
Ronsen Wurzens, and hope for the best. If magic hammers won't do the
trick, nothing will short of replacing the board, which is too
likely the real problem. I don't see Seilers here, and only get to
play with them at conventions, but I generally like them and don't
typically see the really obnoxious soundboard problems I see in some
other products. Not that I wouldn't want to change a few things, but
then I'm never satisfied with anything. No mystery there. I like the
guy with the earring too, though the name escapes me. He takes
product critique very very well, and gives all outward signs of
thinking.

Bottom line. Hammers will only get you, at best, what the soundboard
and scale give you to work with. Replace the trashed hammers with
decent ones, and make the best of what is there.

Ron N