Removing tuning pins with the Milwaukee Drill

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:32:06 -0700

You know how long it takes to get it hot enough to start a fire...I mea=
n two sticks of wood...forever!   I'm guessing 20 minutes to remove the=
 tuning pins with a drill.
David I.

Original message
From: "Ross White"
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Removing tuning pins with the Milwaukee Drill

If you really spun them out, they would be too hot to touch.  There mig=
ht also be wisps of smoke.  If the old pins were warm but not hot, perh=
aps they were loose.  Did any wood stick to the old pins; sometimes lit=
tle bits of wood will stick to the pins.  Boy Scouts start fires by thi=
s kind of procedure, wood on wood.  Friction produces heat.  How long d=
oes it take you to remove a set of pins with a Milwaukee drill.  Takes =
me a couple of hours to do it by hand; and, it's not that hard.