U.S. Techs only

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri, 09 Sep 2005 05:29:32 -0500

At 05:19 AM 9/9/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Really, I'm not xenophobic!!!

...The IRS would like you to be paranoid, instead...

>  It's just boring tax questions that nobody outside the U.S. would be
> interested in!
>
>As some may recall, I'm new to this.  Just starting out, there are a lot
>of things to buy--some can wait until the need arises, but others, such as
>the horribly expensive center pin stuff, the cool damper wire bending
>pliers, etc., I need to practice with BEFORE the need arises.  How have
>some of you others dealt with the IRS.  Capital expenses, or
>deductable?  As I understand it, the IRS considers you a "Piano
>Technician" as soon as you've been paid for services, however unqualified
>you may be to render those services. I know several people who will pay me
>to get me "in business", but then how should I handle these initial expenses?

 From the start and at the very least (and for me I guess it would BE the
least, since my self-employed income is "moonlighting"), I would say that
you should document _everything_ you think has _any_ relevance to business
expense and schedule an appointment with a CPA - (itself a deductible
expense).

Others will surely give more specific advice, but it's a LOT easier to
throw out receipts you don't need, than to recreate them AFTER you find
they could help.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.