petrof warranty question

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:24:05 -0500

Tom:

=20

Agraffes do break.  I have one customer with about 8 replacement
agraffes.  On a piano, anything can break and I think at some point or
another I've seen it all!

=20

dp

=20

David M. Porritt

dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Tvak@aol.com
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 10:30 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: petrof warranty question

=20

List

I've never had to do a warrantied repair outside the confines of the
dealership for which I have worked, and they always take care of any
paper work or protocol.    In fact, they usually hear from the client,
send me to the client, and pay me directly.   So I've never had to deal
with the manufacturer directly, nor another dealer with which I have no
relationship.

Last week, a longtime client of mine with a Petrof grand reported to me
that she had a broken agraffe.  (I have not seen the agraffe, but we
talked on the phone, and it's clear that's what happened)  So I called
Geneva International and ordered a replacement agraffe and asked them
about whether this was a warrantied item.  (The piano was purchased in
1999.)  He wasn't sure, in that agraffes never break.  At least, not all
by themselves.  He advised me to call the local Petrof dealer where the
piano was originally purchased and inform them of the problem.  He
thought they might be able to contact Petrof and get my client
reimbursed for the labor.

So I called them and described the problem.  They told me they'd get
back to me later in the day and never called back.  It's been two days
now.

So...what's the correct procedure in a situation like this?  Is there a
means by which I could talk to Petrof directly?  (I am Czech by
heritage, but don't speak...)  Should I advise my client to contact the
dealer and let them do the repair, warranty or not? =20

Anybody ever hear of an agraffe breaking all by itself?

Tom Sivak
Chicago