Hide glue

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:59:29 -0500

I've been called a heretic before so clearly I don't mind that nomenclature or I would shut up now.  The longer I'm in this business the less I see the need for hide glue.  It's fussy, has to be kept fresh, has to be stirred constantly, water added constantly and has to have a special pot.  There are other glues that can do as well and are a lot more worker friendly.

In the cast of key bushings....we're not talking about holding together the Brooklyn Bridge.  It's felt that needs to stay in a mortise all on its own.  I've used hot hide glue, cold liquid hide glue, and finally PCV-E for key bushings.  I've never had a bushing fall out, all have been extremely easy to remove (the PVC-E even easier than the hide glues) and it's far easier to work with.

For hammers, I've used hide glue, Andre's Dutch glue, and Franklin's Trim & Molding Wood Glue.  The last one the easiest to use, and quite inexpensive.  I've had more trouble with clicking hammer heads with hot hide glue than either of the others.

As a result of my trying other adhesives my glue pot remains on the shelf and hasn't been plugged in for a couple of years.  I still have it, but I hope I won't have to use it.

For what jobs (and why) do you think hide glue is "the answer"?

The heretic!
dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts