President's Message

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:35:03 +0200

I have to aggree with Mike here.  While I am the first to acknowledge
that we all run into the <<irrational customer>> from time to time, I am
also very wary of assuming anything without knowing for sure what is
before me.

A customer calls with a complaint, and it is simply my duty to go and
assess whether or not the complaint is warranted or not.  If I end up
convinced that I am dealing with someone that is simply trying to
exploit me for what ever reasons, my initial impulse has always been to
cut my losses an end the relationship as soon (and as peacefully) as
possible.

Actually,  I was a bit suprised to read the presidents words.  I too
felt immediatly a sense of defensiveness... uncomfortably close to
arrogance (tho I doubt completly any such attidude was concious) in
those words.  Dont really know what to think of the example setting
implications this has coming from "da Pres".  Confumused perhaps is a
good construction.

In this buisness you never know when the unexpected can happen. No sense
assuming for even a minute one is fail free on any job.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
RicB

   To assume the tuning was fine (which it probably was) and that the =
fault lies with the piano or  the person complaining, might be =
premature.   To devote the conversation to boasting about ones =
reputation and methods is a turnoff and counterproductive.  Allow the =
customer to find this out by your performance over time.  He/she =
perceives a problem and our job is to respond in a kindly,helpful way =
putting other things aside until it is resolved.  This would be my =
"better system."
    Mike Kurta