President's message

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 08:09:33 -0700

At 04:53 AM 9/11/2005,Dave Stahl wrote:

>Sometimes, as Kent is saying, it's just a matter of opinion.  We ARE
>the experts, no matter how good people might think their ears are.
>
>Give 'em a fork and a hammer and see what they can come up with!
>
>Dave Stahl

Speaking of forks, this reminds me of my days waiting tables at
resorts during college vacations. Sometimes it might be a matter of
opinion, and sometimes it might be a matter of human psychology -
some people just find it necessary to complain. To assert themselves?
To show that they too know something? To make sure they are getting
their full money's worth? Who knows...

Back at the resorts the standard procedure among waiters when someone
sent a portion back for no discernible reason was to take it back
behind the kitchen door, turn the steak or cutlet or whatever over on
its other side and bring it right back. Always worked - got a big
"thank you" and sometimes a big tip (even though the food was now
that much colder...)  Beats having to deal with a ticked-off chef and
getting way behind on serving the rest of the guests on your station...

Same with piano customers. On a callback, when I can find no
discernible problem that can be corrected or at least explained, I
just futz around with the piano a bit - play a few interval tests,
move a few octaves and/or unisons back and forth and then ask them if
this is better. In most cases it is judged "much better". Or at least
they say so. You see, they got their need to complain out of their
system... If they continue as customers - fine. If not - no big loss,
let them play their head games with somebody else...

Israel Stein