President's Message

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:56:38 -0700

At 12:50 PM 9/11/2005, David Ilvedson wrote

>But it was at your expense to drive back

Drive back? I never drive "back". I  fit them in between other
appointments and tack them onto day ends on the way somewhere. Smart
scheduling can make the time and driving spent on callbacks negligible...

>and futz with the piano and you
>support the customer's belief that something wasn't quite right with
>your work.
>Now you may have kept the customer by coming back but maybe not and
>is it worth it?

We are in a service industry. While we may think that our product is
a properly tuned piano, in reality our product is customer
satisfaction. Like it or not, that's the nature of a service
business. Now, there are clients who can never be satisfied - and so
we need to learn how to recognize those and not waste our time on
them. As for the others, they are certainly worth the time and the
expense of the occasional callback. I see myself as representing the
PTG and the entire trade. I do not want to come off as the arrogant
"expert" who is not responsive to customer concerns.

Yes, there were some callbacks that turned out to be a waste of my
time. There were others that paid for themselves many times over -
some directly, some indirectly. Some yielded steady customers and
referrals. Some were opportunities to educate piano owners about
their instruments - like the difference between tuning and voicing.
I'll never forget the lady who - as a result of a callback - was
convinced that her 85-note Young Chang was really a toy and got
herself a 7 foot Grotrian instead (and a nice fat dealer commission
for me). Then there are the people who, after a callback, offer to
pay for my time. And the occasional ones who cancel a callback before
I can get there because "it sounds OK now".

So, sometimes these callbacks generate income - immediate or
deferred. And almost always they generate goodwill -
which is a valuable commodity in our business, even if you cannot
translate it into dollars and cents. So is it worth an occasional
twenty minutes of my time and a buck's worth of gas? You bet...

>It IS worth it if you are looking for work.

You mean your clients never die, move away or go broke?

Israel Stein