President's Message

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:55:03 -0700

Well, yeah they die...if they give me any ****....;-]

>We are in a service industry. While we may think that our product is
>a properly tuned piano, in reality our product is customer
>satisfaction. Like it or not, that's the nature of a service
>business.

Now, there are clients who can never be satisfied - and so
>we need to learn how to recognize those and not waste our time on
>them.

So customer satisfaction is your policy if and only if  you think the customer can be satisfied?

 As for the others, they are certainly worth the time and the
>expense of the occasional callback. I see myself as representing the
>PTG and the entire trade. I do not want to come off as the arrogant
>"expert" who is not responsive to customer concerns.

I opt for the customer satisfaction at the time of the service call by clearly defining what is possible with the service call...

>Yes, there were some callbacks that turned out to be a waste of my
>time. There were others that paid for themselves many times over -
>some directly, some indirectly. Some yielded steady customers and
>referrals. Some were opportunities to educate piano owners about
>their instruments - like the difference between tuning and voicing.
>I'll never forget the lady who - as a result of a callback - was
>convinced that her 85-note Young Chang was really a toy and got
>herself a 7 foot Grotrian instead (and a nice fat dealer commission
>for me). Then there are the people who, after a callback, offer to
>pay for my time. And the occasional ones who cancel a callback before
>I can get there because "it sounds OK now".

I'm all for the call back that leads to more service/income especiallly when I've recommended it at the initial service call...I just want that upfront

>So, sometimes these callbacks generate income - immediate or
>deferred. And almost always they generate goodwill -
>which is a valuable commodity in our business, even if you cannot
>translate it into dollars and cents. So is it worth an occasional
>twenty minutes of my time and a buck's worth of gas? You bet...

I don't see them deferring income only taking away from the initial service call...remember, I make no mistakes....;-]

Really, I get very few call backs...a fellow called me and told me he was very fussy about his tuning.   I point blank asked him just what kind of instrument was involved in this dissatisfaction...a winter spinet.   I let him know then and at the time of the service what we could do and I would do the best I could but don't give me a call in the next day about any perceived problems.   At the service, I explained some "voicing" would help...lack of tone was the main problem with that piano.   A week later he did call and let me know he was doing some voicing himself...the needle wouldn't go in so he was using a knife....I recommended he discontinue that...;-]

A professional, no nonsense attitude...not arrogant...but a "this is reality and the piano" is the best offense in a no callback strategy...

David I.