Siezed regulating screws

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:07:28 +0100

Hello David N and List
I have never had any failures with loosening a setoff or letoff screw when
using a small wattage soldering iron - such as used in the electronic
scenario. In uprights I sometimes take out the rail and do the whole lot in
one session. Sometimes there are several short rails - but the same approach
applies. Apply the tip of the small soldering iron to the ring of the screw
- hold it there for some time - go on to the next screw and while that is
heating up your spare hand is twizzling the heated screw with a setoff tool.
I'm afraid I'm rather old fashioned in-as-much as I only have the tool which
completely covers the ring. This is no bad thing, actually, because that
tool gets pretty hot and aids the loosening process - and it doesn't slip
off the ring.
Regards from an Ashes winning England. Huzzah! (cricket)
Michael