Hammer hanging glue and replacement butts for uprights.

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:55:20 -0700 (PDT)

I just removed some of Wally Brooks' Abel hammers that
I was stoopid enough to hang on a  crappy set of those
Pratt-Win butts a few years ago. The butts were so
poorly drilled that a LOT of shank-bending was
necessary, so I decided to replace them with the
Tokiwa ones.
    It seems to be a  "white" glue, like Elmer's, or
white Titebond. I very much liked the fact that
putting my elecric hammershank bender up near the
hammer heads softend the glue enough to remove them
neatly.
    A related question: I already have a  set of
Renner upright butts, with the integral spring, but am
reluctant to use them because:
1) The bridle straps are too short. I did a  piano
with these recently where the straps were so short
that the bridle wires on the butt had to be bent to be
in front of the backcheck wires. So I drilled a  new
hole in the tabs. If I ever use these again, I;ll glue
on my own straps.
2) The cathers don't have the projection hanging down,
with the little felt square for the jacks to bap
against, on hard playing.
     I get the impression that these butts are really
only for certain European actions.
    Comments?
     Thump

http://mail.yahoo.com