Concert tuning was: President's message

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:38:24 -0500

Dale,

Speaking of time.  Early in my career (probably about 20 years ago) I =
was offered a short-time position at a prestigious summer music camp in =
the Midwest.  I was flattered that I had been recommended, but horrified =
at the pay--a $100 per week cash stipend and room & board for tuning 35 =
(count 'em) pianos a week--and they weren't in climate controlled =
places. (!) =20

When I told the woman that I couldn't work for so little money, she =
said, "Well, we really feel that part of the compensation is the =
prestige in being able to say you have worked here."   "I'm sorry,"  I =
replied.  Of course, what I really wanted to say was prestige wouldn't =
make the car payment, the school loan payment, or cover my rent, but I =
was polite.

Maybe it was a missed opportunity--but it was a chance I couldn't =
afford!  (35 pianos a week?  Ugh.)

Barbara Richmond, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 8:03 PM
  Subject: Re: Concert tuning was: President's message

    And that's why we get paid the big bucks, right Barbara? Free =
tickets or no  All we have to sell is our time &  talents so let's not =
give them away.=20
      nobody else does .sheesh!

    Dale Erwin
    There's no doubt that technicians' abilities vary, but touching up =
the piano=20
    between rehearsals and performances is considered quite normal.  If =
it's=20
    not, why do all these contracts that come through specifically list =
that=20
    service?  ;-)

    Barbara Richmond, RPT