Untuning a M&H

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:52:48 -0500

Sounds like this pianos is shot, worthless, a complete pso, firewood, scrap metal, and crap on wheels ....

.... let me know where it is, I'll be happy to come dispose of it for you.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Davis
To: Pianotech
Sent: 09/14/2005 1:15:20 AM
Subject: Untuning a M&H

Hi Gang,

Today I tuned a mid-70's Mason & Hamlin BB at a church. Several years ago (before my time...) this piano wouldn't stay in tune, so the church replaced it, and retired it to a multi-purpose room. I got to chatting with the sound-guy who told me that a former tuner told them it wouldn't stay in tune because it is mounted on a grand dolly, and that since Mason and Hamliin's have that "star system" (tension resonator), every time they move the piano, it torques the whole rim and puts it out of tune.

Sounds logical, right?

Dave Davis, RPT

p.s. I wonder if the poor re-string job complete with loose coils and strings riding up on the hitch pins a mm or two, and string rendering problems would have any effect on tuning.  Hmmmmm.