Untuning a M&H

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 05:23:28 -0500

At 11:15 PM 9/13/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Gang,
>
>Today I tuned a mid-70's Mason & Hamlin BB at a church. Several years ago
>(before my time...) this piano wouldn't stay in tune, so the church
>replaced it, and retired it to a multi-purpose room. I got to chatting
>with the sound-guy who told me that a former tuner told them it wouldn't
>stay in tune because it is mounted on a grand dolly, and that since Mason
>and Hamliin's have that "star system" (tension resonator), every time they
>move the piano, it torques the whole rim and puts it out of tune.
>
>Sounds logical, right?

Nope.  Not if you've even heard about solid geometry. Three points in space
determine a plane. No matter how you orient those three the plane is intact
and unwarped.  The dolly and the centripetal tension resonator system have
nothing to do with it.  The old tooner was confusticating the four point,
gai-roan-teed to warp the string plane, vertical four point/wheel
suspension system with the tricycle grand system.  Might have been
deflecting the gaze away from the restringing job, too?

>Dave Davis, RPT
>
>p.s. I wonder if the poor re-string job complete with loose coils and
>strings riding up on the hitch pins a mm or two, and string rendering
>problems would have any effect on tuning.  Hmmmmm.

Hmmmmm, indeed.

BTW, my pickup's ready to haul if you'd like to relieve the church of it's
burden. Free of charge...

Conrad
Hoffsommer's Piano Rendering and Landscape Service.