New Tuning Hammer

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 06:47:28 -0500

One thing about using more than one tuning lever is the affect on your
hands.

When I was younger (a looooong time ago) I had met some technicians who
had lost some of their hearing.  I've been very cautious of my hearing
all my life fearing that a loss would necessitate an early retirement.
I always used hearing protectors while tuning, in the shop etc.  Now
that I'm past the age of retiring early, my hearing is still good,
however, my hands are now the more likely part of my body to cause
serious retirement thoughts.  I've recently been using a ball type
hammer on grands and the Schaff extension hammer on upwrongs.  This has
helped my hands to have a change of grip throughout the day.  Anything
you do A LOT should have some variety involved so you don't stress parts
of your body.

Take care of your ears, but also take care of your hands.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu