Repinning....Can I pullease get more responses?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:24:48 -0500

Before deciding you may not have to repin everything, try this test.
Locate a hammer center that seems to be relatively free. Lift the
hammer up and grab the shank close to the knuckle. Put some side
stress on it (both directions) while swinging it through as big an
arc as you can a half dozen times. Now check the tightness of the
pinning. If it has seized up, you're looking at repinning everything.

Through the years, I've run into a few of these, and in a couple of
cases, we opted to try shrinking and lubricating centers as a
possible cheap way around the obvious. Armed with alcohol and water,
a hair dryer, and silicone/naphtha, I dosed and dried hammer
centers, then applied the silicone mix. Took about an hour
altogether. The plan was to try the cheap route, and repin later if
it proved to be necessary. Both were over ten years ago, and if the
problem returned, I don't know about it.

So if you'd prefer to have your first repinning experience not be
the never-ending, can't escape the action from Hell project, you
might consider this as a possible alternative.

It IS a Schafer.

Just a thought.

Ron N