Young Chang G-157 wierd damper problem

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:27:09 -0500

Seems like I've encountered this before. I think I put a couple drops of
CA glue on the rest of the lead weights, using a hypo oiler. That
allowed me to reach them while they were still in place.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Michael Gamble
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 2:03 PM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: Re:Young Chang G-157 wierd damper problem

Hello List
I had a weird problem following a tuning session after a 28 month gap on
this 1996 G-157. The client called me back to say: "There's a note
hanging
on. Before you tuned it that same note had sticking problems". (Though
he
hadn't said anything when I went to tune it.) Sure enough when I looked
one
of the damper heads was sticking up. "Ah-ha!" I said "We'll have to have
the
action out!" Out slid the action. My first mental comment was "how rough
this keybed is!" "Well, I know it isn't a Yamaha" he said - can this
chap
read my mind? There, before our very eyes, was the problem. A damper
lever
weight had come out and was sitting benignly on the tail end of one of
the
keys. I got a round tooth-pick from the kit and PVe'd the hole, smeared
some
on the weight and, using my trusty duck-bill pliers, crimped it back in
place. Within 15 minutes everything was OK. "How much do I owe you?" he
asked. "No charge" I replied - and, as usual... "Let me know if you have
any
problems!" I said as I left. :-)
Regards
Michael G.(UK)