Squeeky damper tray

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:37:56 -0500

Thanks, Jerry

I lifted all the damper levers, sometimes in groups, but didn't detect any
noise.  I didn't have a stick long enough to get the levers up so I could
check the tray alone.  Your solution may be what I need to look for.

Paul C

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Jerry Cohen
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 6:20 PM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: Squeeky damper tray

Paul,

I had a similar problem with a 4 year old Schimmel grand. If you lift the
damper tray by hand you hear the squeak. If you lift individual underlevers
(either by hand or with the keys)) there is no squeak. But the problem was
not with the damper tray mechanism. I lifted each underlever  and operated
the pedal. Finally I found one damper when lifted out of the way, the squeak
was gone. But if you lift that damper by hand there was no squeak. However
you could hear a very slight rubbing sound from the bushing, which its
neighbors did not have. You had to listen incredibly carefully. I polished
the damper wire with Flitz and applied McLube to the wire. The squeak was
gone.

I guess there was a resonance created only when the underlever is lifted at
is capstan, and the resonance was damped when the underlever is lifted at
the spoon.

I think the Young Chang has a similar system with capstans for damper tray
lift and spoons for key lift. I don't know if this is your problem, but it's
worth checking before dismantling the damper tray mechanism.

Jerry Cohen, RPT

New Jersey Chapter