Tuning Hammers, How Many?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:08:43 -0500

At 09:58 AM 9/15/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>I carry one, Hale extension (I use it slightly extended, too--I'm a weenie
>girl, you know), #2 tip, on the shortest 15 degree head.  I couldn't get
>the tip off or remove the head if I tried.  Well, I did try after reading
>about all the stuff everyone else carries.  ;-)   I also carry one of
>those extenders that fits in the tip when clearance is an issue.
>
>I do have a cheesy tuning lever with a narrow wall tip installed on it
>which has come in handy 3 or 4 times in my career.  It resides in the box
>of "hardly ever used" tools (along with the other heads and tips I've
>never used--I've lived a protected life).  Sometimes I even remember to
>put that box in the car......
>
>BTW, in an effort to lighten the load in my main tool box, I removed my
>center pin tools and supplies and put them in another tool
>case.  Naturally, at the next two appointments, I had to do some
>repinning.  The best part was, I went out to the car and brought in the
>wrong tool case.  Hmm, so much for re-organizing.  Of course, that
>incident gave me some other ideas for arranging my tools.  Pretty soon I
>won't know where anything is.  :-)
>
>Barbara Richmond, RPT

Weenie girl,

Lightening your load can have a beneficial effect other than avoiding
knuckle dragging and backache.

Waaay back at Philly '80(?), when I was a fledgling, I went to a business
class.  The instructor (Flegle?) only carried one of those clarinet case
sized tool kits into the house.

The reasoning was that, if he didn't have the tools with him, it was over
and above a straight tuning and the repair rate kicked it. A trip to the
car means you charge extra... ;-}

Of course, knowing which box contains what you need is helpful. John Ross
has a good system in his van, and has sent pictures thereof to this list in
the past.  Accurate labeling is a must.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.