Business in Coming Days was O.T. "Do Not Call List"

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:33:06 -0500

Responding to Susan's comments, below, which many might echo:

When the majority of people believe things are happening, or are going to happen, as you describe, then it will surely happen.

If people continue to have faith in this great nation and the people who comprise it, it will then NOT happen.

Economic prophecy is ALWAYS self-fulfilling. Even major external hits like Katrina are absorbed by positive, productive thinking, hard work and confidence.

9/11 is a great example. Yeah, it was a huge kick in the national gut (or lower), but the government cut taxes (oh no, oh my, gloom and doom from some ...) and what happend? The economy came roaring back and the flow of money into government coffers substantially INCREASED. It always works.

Now, the airlines have truly suffered since 9/11 and the oil price spike has put real pressure on them. But Southwest, as a counter example, is doing just fine. Why? Three answers: (1) A business plan more in tune with current real-world circumstances, (2) a brilliant fuel contract strategy previously in place, and (3) they are not burdened with huge internal expenses, i.e., union rules, generous benefits, etc. This is NOT a criticism of unions or company benefit policies, except to say that the simple fact is this: These companies now have burdens they simply cannot carry in today's market.

This is true in spades for General Motors, which you mentioned. It's amazing that they are still in business--I think it's like a wounded (mortally?) dinosaur: It may go down but it's going to lumber along quite a distance before it does, and you don't want to be in its way. Other, smaller, more flexible, more modern auto companies will be right there to take up the slack.

It has always been thus.

I say: Don't worry, be happy, fix the problems, have faith, move forward ..... or as Teddy Roosevelt might say: "Charge!!!!!!!!"

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri