Catcher leather replacement

Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:26:06 +0100

Dave - If you can get those hammer assemblies out without dismantling the
whole action:

1.	File off the remains of the old leather
2.	Cut out enough pieces of replacement leather
3.	Glue them at the bottom end just before the curve and wait for the
first one to dry
4.	Then glue the straight part and use a clothes peg and a small piece
of wood about the size of the balance hammer to keep the leather flat
5.	Reassemble action. Job done.
6.	Good luck!

Regards

Michael G.(UK)

  _____

From: Piannaman@aol.com [mailto:Piannaman@aol.com]
Sent: 16 September 2005 14:24
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Catcher leather replacement

I'm working on an old upright that has many problems.  One of them is that a
couple of octaves worth of catcher leathers are not there.  I hate to admit
it, but I have not done this repair before.

I don't want to spend too much time on this, as client's budget is limited
(a professional musician..), so I was looking for tips on replacing the
missing leathers as quickly--and functionally as possible.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Dave Stahl