Lacquering hammers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:36:13 EDT

Dick
    What kind of hammers first of all?
  I may have sniffed to many lacquer fumes in my time but I'll try to  see if
I can still give  a coherent answer that would be useful. grin   Anyway The
tone is largely telling me where & how much to apply & also  ...expereince.
  Dale

Just installed new hammers and strings in a rather old baby grand in a
church.  Obviously not even going to have best tone quality.  But  pianist is
complained that the tone doesn't ring.  I think the  hammers are too soft.
Regulation, downbearing and strike point are all  correct.  Am thinking of using the
lacquer technique on the  hammers.  Never done this.  Where on the hammer do
you apply lacquer  and how much.  Any tips from "experienced lacquerers" would
be welcomed  and thanks for taking the time.

Dick Day
Marshall