Tuning Hammers.....How Many?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 05:58:25 -0400

My impact lever is a Mahaffey (sp?) -type. I forget whether I got it =
from Schaff or Pianotek - I think Schaff - it is not in the catalog, you =
have to ask for it. It is the type of lever originally recommended =
(several years ago) by Mitch Keil (sp?) of Reyburn Cybertuner. Mitch =
gave a class at a convention (several years ago) on how to modify that =
lever for improved performance. I modified mine a little bit by adding =
felt padding and covering the whole thing with rubber tape (I can't find =
his handout from the class).=20

I see now that Reyburn offers custom impact levers. I have not used =
these, but can only assume that they are the cat's meow in the impact =
lever world. Mitch uses an impact lever exclusively for all his tuning. =
I only use mine for pitch raises on tight-pinned uprights. I see that =
Reyburn advertises that his levers have less of a weight on the end and =
that most levers are too heavily weighted. I have no doubt that is true =
- likely the reason I find it difficult to use my lever on many uprights =
and especially for fine tuning - exactly what he says the trouble is =
with most impact levers. However, I suspect my heavily weighted lever is =
exactly what you might want for pitch-raising tight-pinned uprights.

I've been tempted for a while now to order one of his levers. I see also =
that he offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. Might be a good way to go. =
Give Mitch a call - no doubt he will be able to make your head spin with =
impact lever talk!

http://www.reyburn.com/cyberhammer.html

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Ilvedson=20
  OK, speaking of impact wrenches...a couple of days ago I was tuning a =
lot of uprights at Stanford and I began fiddling around with my new =
Faulk hammer, using like an impact tuning wrench.   Of course very =
little throw but I was able to get a feel for what an impact wrench =
might be like...SO, I'm going to get one.   Let me have it with why your =
impact tuning hammer is the best.   I definitely want a very small throw =
(I mean movement from side to the other) or adjustable if possible.