spring think bling bling

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:20:02 +0200

Hi guys

The pictures show the result of a very aggressive and ill-advised (IMHO)
string seating proceedure.  Look closely at the pics and you will see
the darn strings are simply buried into the bridge. Pic number 2 kind of
really drives home the point me thinks.  The strings have been mashed
down so much the wood of the bridge top has been squished around the
sides of the strings.

Yes, I removed the strings to show that perspective as well.  If you
look close at pic 4 you can see the kinks (origionally around the bridge
pins) in the strings that the tech feels are essential for good tone.

Tools... rounded off screwdriver, small hammer. Not what I would call
light tapping at all.  At the bridge pin of the grooves are nearly a
half a mil deep.  The job was done in town and without the museums
knowledge or approval. No way to bring the responsible party to any kind
of accountability me thinks.  The whole bridge has been done.  200,000
USD these things cost here in Norway. Wonderful stuff.

I figured Ron N would love these pics. They make one of the better cases
against string seating I've run into. Bridge is already showing signs of
cracking around the bridge pins.. Pic five.  That kind of thing is all
over the place.

Cheers
RicB

Hi All Speaking of Well... Er... Uh... Check out the following pics....
3 year old Hamburg D. http://www.pianostemmer.no/pics/grieg_d_one.jpg
http://www.pianostemmer.no/pics/grieg_d_two.jpg
http://www.pianostemmer.no/pics/grieg_d_three.jpg
http://www.pianostemmer.no/pics/grieg_d_four.jpg