On Topic - Other fixed length strings: Was OT Tuning a guitar using and Equal Temperament method

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:28:54 -0500

I think any discussion related to inharmonicity, string theory, music
theory, and tuning is always on topic. There are things to learn ...

Specifically, from your post: I am also a classical guitarist, with a
pretty decent instrument.I've tried various tempered schemes and always
came away saying, "Eh, too much trouble.Kinda sucky results."

I wasn't bothered much by guitar tuning until I became a piano tuner. Now,
over the years, the guitar tuning kinda drives me nuts if I pay too much
attention to it. Maybe a true equal temperament would sound better, but I
really notice that the quality of the tuning (the sound) depends on the key
you're in and where you are on the neck, and (heaven help you) if you are
matching pure harmonics with played notes, say at the 12th fret--which is
where the rubber really meets the road, crashes, and burns on cheap guitars.

I've never tuned a harpsichord or harp. How much does IH show up on these?
Are they tuned ET?

How about orchestral bells, chimes, celestes, xylophones, vibraphones, and
marimbas? Anyone know?

(I was going to include glockenspiels, but to me those boogers always sound
like rock-hard hammers hitting badly tuned, wild-string treble unisons,
anyway. Ha.)

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri