Impact hammers - use of

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:13:24 +0100

I agree, Mike. I can't see fine tuning in both directions as a possibility
with these things. Possible main use is to get the piano roughly in tune and
polish off in your normal manner? I dare say these would also "set" the pins
though!

Regards

Michael G.(UK)

  _____

From: Mike Kurta [mailto:mkurta@adelphia.net]
Sent: 18 September 2005 15:00
To: Pianotech
Subject: Impact hammers

    Hey Folks:

    Clue me in on impact hammers.  I used one on trial and was frustrated,
finding it difficult to make fine back-and-forth movements in the pins.
Moving in one direction was fine, but to go back the other way I had to
first take up the slack in the head to reverse direction.  Am I to
understand that one doesn't make tiny, slow pull changes but instead uses
the impact feature exclusively?  Otherwise it seemed that the wide movement
of the handle was cumbersome and difficult to overcome.

    Mike Kurta