Key Bushing Cauls

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:44:13 -0400

I've never tried metal cauls, but I agree with David Love that the =
Spurlock cauls work great. I also recommend use of his mortise sizing =
cauls. And hide glue, yes - specifically, hot hide glue. He has general =
use instructions on his web site and if you order cauls from him, you =
get a free detailed procedure guide.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  Spurlock Cauls are the best.  Use with hide glue.  Buy a whole set of =
both intermediate and double shoulder final cauls.  You need to let the =
glue dry completely with the caul inserted for proper sizing.  Over time =
you can collect the various sizes. =20

  www.spurlocktools.com

  David Love

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Matthew Todd
  I am debating about what type of cauls to order.  PianoTek sells the =
brass ones in a complete set.  I heard that the brass is the best, is =
that true?  It will be mighty spendy to get a complete set of those in =
each size.  Does PianoTek sell them per dozen?

  I am looking at the Schaff catalog and it looks like they sell the =
aluminum cauls per each.  Would that be okay to start out with?  Maybe =
get a dozen, or 20, or 30 in each size?

  Thanks!
  Matthew