Key Bushing Cauls

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:57:59 -0700

Matthew asked: "I am debating about what type of cauls to order.  =
PianoTek sells the brass ones in a complete set.  I heard that the brass =
is the best, is that true?  It will be mighty spendy to get a complete =
set of those in each size.  Does PianoTek sell them per dozen?
=20
I am looking at the Schaff catalog and it looks like they sell the =
aluminum cauls per each.  Would that be okay to start out with?  Maybe =
get a dozen, or 20, or 30 in each size?"

Matthew,
I prefer the Aluminum. Although I have Spurlocks, there' one thing you =
can't do with them: Heat the cauls when they are in the keys! This I =
like to do, when using the high density bushing cloth. I put an iron on =
them, heat them up and go to the next batch. I've found that I get =
better end results this way. With the Spurlocks, I've had too many call =
backs, due to the High Density felt's propensity to NOT stay sized! =
grrr! BTW, Get a full set of 90, so you won't have to dink around. It's =
a good idea to leave the cauls in place, at least 24 hours after putting =
the bushings in, IMO, even with the lesser density type bushing cloth. =
You should get the standard .147" cauls first, as this is what will be =
needed 99% of the time on US/Canada pianos. Asian/Euro pianos will, =
sometimes require odd sizes. Deal with that, WHEN the need arises. And =
then there is the Steinway, (completely off the chart sizes), balance =
rail pins, which at this time in your learning process, IMO, should not =
be a factor.<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police