Tuning a guitar--pitch compensation(OT)

baoli liu baoli_liu@yahoo.com
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:15:52 -0700 (PDT)

I played guitar for fun while I was in college, I did
a research and publish my first "professional" paper
about guitar pitch compensation. I’d like to share
what I found, hope some of you are interested.

When we press any string to the fret, we actually
increase the string tension and raise the pitch,
guitar maker usually move frets a little further to
the head to compensate the pitch--it is called "pitch
compensation".

DIFFRENT STRINGS USUALLY NEEDS DIFFRENT COMPENSATIONS.

Theoretically, there are basically two ways to make
the pitch right.First way is to divide/separate each
fret into six small pieces to please each string; of
course it is not very practical. And the second way is
the make the instrument, especially strings right.

What my research found is that all of the 6 strings
should have equal "prestretch" so the 6 strings should
have same pitch compenstions."Prestreth" is the string
stretch between "almost zero" tension to "on-pitch"
tensions; it is about a few millimeters if I remember
correctly.

In the real world, few string set can be made having
same prestretchs, or the tone and/or volume may
suffer. So when we tune guitar, we have to favor the
most commonly used register. For example, I tune low
register when I sing folk songs; I tune higher
register when I play solo guitar.

I know some of you play so well and you  play all of
the notes... well, you have to pay more money to buy
the most expensive guitar and the best strings.good
luck!

Baoli