B 458198, string deflections

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:59:03 +0200

Great pic Kent. What camera did you use ?

How new is the instrument ? I'd guess there was some off bridge string
seating done at some time by the looks of it... tho a pic can be a bit
deceiveing thus. Still, there are a lot of folks out there pressing hard
on the strings in towards the bridge pins... and that does stress pins
and can lead to cracks.  I've seen many instruments with <<poor>>
allignment tho through the years that didnt display any hair line cracks
like the ones pictured.  If its a new instrument, I would be open to
looking for other contributing factors for these personally.  Note the
depressions  (in the clip below)leading down towards the sides of the
strings along the bridge surface as well. Not a naturally occuring
depression me thinks.

I was suprised also about the soundboard comment from Nossaman. How
could the slight increase in sidebearing  on the back pin contribute to
a concave crown and the so called killer octave syndrom ?

Cheers
RicB

------------

On Sep 21, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>/ The bridge will probably be OK, especially as that angle self
/>/ corrects, but the net side bearing is what I'd be concerned about.
/>/ The strings are trying to pull the bridge left. I'd be looking for
/>/ concave crown and a killer killer octave pretty quickly, maybe as
/>/ soon as a couple of months if the climate control lets the RH get
/>/ below 35%.
/
Fascinating. The piano has a dual-tank Dampp-Chaser with undercover.
It really hadn't occurred to me that this alignment might cause
soundboard problems. I was just worried about the bridge, still am,
and have seen this configuration on many S&S instruments. I guess
I'll be re-checking the crown as I service the DC over time.

Thanks.

>/ Did the restring include lowering the plate?
/
No.

--Boundary_(ID_839vZoDaWgCTPf4vktlZBA)
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--Boundary_(ID_839vZoDaWgCTPf4vktlZBA)
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: moz-screenshot.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 30875 bytes
Desc: not available

--Boundary_(ID_839vZoDaWgCTPf4vktlZBA)--