B 458198, string deflections

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 06:22:46 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C5BF3E.10659EE0
Judging from this picture the severe indentation and the slightly angled
indentation that leads to the new string position, it appears as if the
migrating pins were caused by very aggressive string seating.  In other
words, someone actually banged the string down so hard at the pin that =
they
moved the pin.  If that's the case, then it's not likely that the pins =
will
keep moving (especially since some of the lateral force is being taken =
up by
the bridge cap itself and the groove in which the string is riding.  I
haven't really followed this thread from the start, but termination have =
be compromised, it would seem.  I'm not sure I follow how this would =
effect
the crown of the soundboard. =20

=20

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20

=20
------------

On Sep 21, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
=20
> The bridge will probably be OK, especially as that angle self =20
> corrects, but the net side bearing is what I'd be concerned about. =20
> The strings are trying to pull the bridge left. I'd be looking for =20
> concave crown and a killer killer octave pretty quickly, maybe as =20
> soon as a couple of months if the climate control lets the RH get =20
> below 35%.
=20
Fascinating. The piano has a dual-tank Dampp-Chaser with undercover. =20
It really hadn't occurred to me that this alignment might cause =20
soundboard problems. I was just worried about the bridge, still am, =20
and have seen this configuration on many S&S instruments. I guess =20
I'll be re-checking the crown as I service the DC over time.
=20
Thanks.
=20
> Did the restring include lowering the plate?
=20
No.

=20

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C5BF3E.10659EE0