Interesting damper regulation difference

John Delmore jodel@kairos.net
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:52:41 -0500

Is this a proper way to lighten an actions touch (i.e. after the fact, not
in the piano's design)?  I watch the PianoWorld forum, also, and that seems
to be a common request from pianists.
John

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 11:46 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Interesting damper regulation difference

List,

My last two jobs of the day were on nice, new German-built uprights.  One is
a Seiler 122, the other is a Wilh. Steinberg(probably 132 centimeters tall).
Both are really nicely built upright pianos, with very well regulated
Renner-built actions.

I found the touch on the Seiler to be on the heavy side, and not as
controllable as I'd like.  The cause was from the spoons contacting the
damper levers very shortly after the beginning of the keystroke.

At the other end of the spectrum was the Steinberg.  The hammers were a full
2/3 of the way to the string before the dampers began to lift.  The action
felt much lighter and far easier to control to me.  And legato playing was
no problem.

I thought the philosophical differences in regulation might be of interest.

Thanks for reading,

Dave Stahl