Case of Disappearing Sound

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:08:24 -0500

This is the first time I've seen this; it may be instructive for somebody ...

Bichord bass note (that's a clue) on an upright piano (Ding, ding, ding, another clue) played just swell on a firm blow, but on a soft blow it made almost no sound at all, just disappeared into nothingness.

Major clue: Fixed it with a drop of liquid on the end of the the long skinny screwdriver I carry for removing damper heads and such.

Lieutenant Colonal Clue: There was nothing wrong or badly regulated with the key, capstan, wippen, jack, butt, hammer, or anything associated with those items, such as bridle strap, etc.

Obfuscating Field Marshall Clue: When the note played properly, i.e., on a firm-ish blow, the damper lifted, seated, and damped beautifully, no problems.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri