Key Clamps

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi@earthlink.net
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:11:25 -0700

Matthew,

The beauty of PVC-E is not having to clamp.  I have been doing keytops with
it for many years and never had a problem.  You may have told us this
already, but I'll ask again, how are you preparing the key surface?  If it
isn't planed smoothly, you might have problems.  Also, sometimes it is
necessary to apply a preliminary sealer coat of glue to the key and then a
second coat for gluing.  Wait for it to dry a little and slide the keytop
on, applying a little pressure.  Hold it for a few seconds and then set it
aside.  I think the problem is not the glue, but perhaps your method.  Keep
experimenting.  Like most things in this business, practice makes perfect.
Very seldom are we successful on the first few attempts.

jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT

Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal

 <mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net> mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Matthew Todd
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 6:56 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Key Clamps

I am using PVC-E, but it appears I still need to clamp...unless I want to
hold each key tightly for 5 minutes after applying the new top.

Matthew

"Paul Chick (Earthlink)" <tune4@earthlink.net> wrote:

Subject: Key Clamps

Hi everyone,

I will be doing my third set of keytop replacement soon (don't worry,
they're all on practice pianos!).

I did the first two sets without clamping.  I would like to do this next set
with clamps to see the difference.  Any ideas?

Thank you!
Matthew

If you're installing molded plastic key tops, stick with PVC-E glue and you
won't have to bother with clamps.  If one needs to be "clamped," a piece of
masking tape will do.

Paul C