CA Observation: Food for Thought

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:08:16 -0600

Hi Alan, Inadvertant dripping of CA glue on the coils will cause the =
becket problem you discribe, as well as the breaking of strings if the =
glue runs to the termination top point. Dead bass strings will be the =
result if the glue is allowed to run into the winding.
If the CA pools up and does not wick into the bushing area, it is wise =
to mop up the excess with an old cloth rag ot paper towel. EVEN IF YOU =
ARE GOING TO LEAVE THE PIANO ON ITS BACK. oOPS HIT THE SHIFT <g> The =
moisture in the paper or rag will start to set the glue. Usually =20
Toilet paper or tissue is not good as it will set up the glue and stick =
to the pin tearing off as you remove the paper.
I find it best to always lower the pitch a tad to break the glue bond in =
the pin hole or any where else the runny stuff may have gotten. This =
eliminates the sudden over pull of the pitch by an octave when the pin =
breaks loose. <G> exazeratin'
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan Barnard=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 10:33 AM
  Subject: CA Observation: Food for Thought

  I tilted and thoroughly soaked an 1890 piano a while back. When I =
started tuning, the bass strings--which sounded amazingly =
okay--nevertheless started breaking: POW!

  So we agreed to replace the wound strings. In removing the old =
strings, I had to remove the pins because the wire was fused (rusted?) =
in the becket holes on many of them.

  Anyway, there were crusty clumps of CA (or something) on the old pins =
that I couldn't even chip off without major effort. If this happens =
routinely, then the pins are turning with the equivalent of heavy-grit =
sandpaper scraping the wood!

  Seems like an argument for following Susan's advice and going on the =
light side.=20

  This could use further study, methinks, or at least reporting here on =
incidental observations. I won't stop dousing pianos because I've seen =
some amazing results in saving otherwise dead blocks, but we may be =
fooling ourselves, a little, on the long term results.

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri