Lesson learned.....

William R. Monroe pianotech@a440piano.net
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 08:21:00 -0500

Sorry for coming in late here, but I've had a few discussions on this topic
in my area lately.

I must say I am more closely sided with Susan in this issue.  In the first
place whether to tilt or not.  Not.  I've done many of these jobs and find
that the real beauty of not tilting is that it is difficult to use too much.
Cappillary action wicks the glue in as quickly as it can.  If you are
getting runs, be more patient and go more slowly.  Do it in two or three
passes.   I also agree that I rarely use a full two oz. bottle to do an
entire block.

As far as pricing, it takes me about 45min ($90).  I'm not a proctologist
and don't think I should be payed like one.  I agree Dean, that there are
real costs associated with learning the trade, and don't begrudge you that.
And, I agree that we tend to underprice ourselves, and, yes, they are paying
us for our knowledge.  However, I don't think that a customers "willingness
to pay" a fee justifies it.

Example, I recently quoted some work, did it, and came in under my estimate.
It didn't take me as long as I expected.  Client says, are you sure that's
enough?  I charged for the work I did.  The knowledge I have gained over the
years allowed me to do that.  Business practices suggest that I shouldn't
charge for work I didn't do.  In this case, I didn't work the extra 2hrs I
estimated, therefore, I don't charge for it.

Obviously the supplies cost is little.  And, in Susans case, if you are only
squirting a couple in a visit, I wouldn't charge for the material either.  I
don't charge per squirt of protek lubing a flange or two..........

Respectfully,
William R. Monroe