Key Clamps

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:33:44 -0500

Are you getting a lot of squeeze out when you set the key top?  We get a
slight amount, a bead no larger than 1mm.  If you are having trouble with
the molded key top sitting flat on the key, your key top(s) are not flat.
Check for twist.  It can be the hardest to detect by sight.  Check the fit
of the key top on the key with out glue.  Are you using key tops with molded
fronts?  How old is your glue?  We recover about 3-4 sets a month with PVC-E
glue and have very little trouble.  It takes only a few seconds for the glue
to "grab" the key top.

Paul C

Subject: RE: Key Clamps

I am using PVC-E, but it appears I still need to clamp...unless I want to
hold each key tightly for 5 minutes after applying the new top.

Matthew

"Paul Chick (Earthlink)" <tune4@earthlink.net> wrote:

Subject: Key Clamps

Hi everyone,

I will be doing my third set of keytop replacement soon (don't worry,
they're all on practice pianos!).

I did the first two sets without clamping.  I would like to do this next set
with clamps to see the difference.  Any ideas?

Thank you!
Matthew

If you're installing molded plastic key tops, stick with PVC-E glue and you
won't have to bother with clamps.  If one needs to be "clamped," a piece of
masking tape will do.

Paul C