Lesson learned.....

david@davidandersenpianos.com david@davidandersenpianos.com
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:48:33 -0400 (EDT)

> I've been following the thread between ssssnn and Dean..and I have to
> admit to siding with Dean on the expertise side. The longer I am in the
> business the more I feel people pay me for what I know, not necessarily
> what I do.
>
> I'll be tipping a Knabe Console in the next few weeks and doing the CA
> thing to it..and for the sake of argument, let's just say that $30 a
> year for piece of mind is relatively inexpensive..
>
> -Phil Bondi(Fl)

I have too, Phil, and I agree with you. I absolutely operate these days on
the paradigm that people are paying me for knowledge AND time.

Good case in point: yesterday. I was hired to set up a piano that is
pretty famous, pretty rare, and has been all over the country and the
world, being played and recorded on---and the guy who hired me, a good
player, and someone who knows a relatively large amount  about pianos, was
deeply dissatisfied with the tone and touch of the instrument.

There were certain fundamental things awry with the instrument; I did what
i could do in 6 hours, and made a striking improvement. Many techs had
worked on the piano in the last 6  months, many if whom you would think
would have done some of the simple things I did to the action of this
piano----but they didn't---and I did. And that's what makes me worth more
than the next guy: my diagnostic abilities, and the craft to follow
through with a fix that noticeably improves the sound and feel.

So it's not even an issue, IMO:  Dean is giving his clients peace of mind,
trust, a guarantee that a piano ready for the trash heap is going to be
functioning for another decade.....wow. Great value
for $250.00. An insurance policy that your piano will hold tune and
function for 30 bucks a year.
Dearest Susan:  What on earth is wrong with that?

Flame suit draped over the end of my bed......

David Andersen